A woman in Tel Aviv, Israel, gave her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise gift, throwing out the old tattered bed her mother had slept on for decades. The gesture ended up bankrupting Annat’s mother, who had stuffed her savings of nearly $1 million inside her old bed for decades, Annat told Israel Army Radio.
While it might be nice to sleep on a $1 million mattress, there are better places to put your money.
Real Estate is Better than Your Mattress Because…
- Your daughter can’t throw it away. I think this one speaks for itself.
- Real estate might offer you a return on your money. A mattress keeps your money close at hand but it offers no opportunity for return. In other words, your money is not working for you. If inflation is in effect, your dollars are actually losing value by sitting in your mattress.
- Real Estate is an asset not somewhere your @$$ sets. A poor attempt at humor.
- The Four Benefits of Real Estate Investing. Cash flow before taxes, depreciation, principal reduction, and appreciation.
- A building is harder to steal and haul away than a mattress. Every two-bit burglar is going to start cutting open old mattresses to look for nest eggs, upon hearing this story.
- Someone will still sleep in a used house. Just let this settle into your mind for a bit.
Putting silliness aside, where are you hiding your money because you are afraid? Is it a 401k? A CD earning 1%? A coffee can buried in the back yard?
Prudence, not fear, should rule in the realm of investments. A mark of maturity is handling responsibilities well. Money and wealth is a responsibility to be stewarded. At the very least, we have a responsibility to leave our heirs with an inheritance.
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children,
but the sinner’s wealth is laid up for the righteous.
– King Solomon
The poor woman that lost her fortune may have slept on a lumpy mattress, but it probably allowed her to rest easily at night knowing exactly where her money was.
Are you able to sleep at night because you know where your money is and what it is doing? Why not put your money into an investment that you can see, touch, and understand like real estate?